Week 2 of the farm share is here, and I have to admit I was pretty intimidated by this one. Last week I said I was drowning in vegetables and this week I was drowning in dark green leafy vegetables (not a bad thing in either case). I revisited the thought of purchasing a juicer but decided that is a better item for my Christmas list.
The strategy? Start with the greens likely to go bad first. The hearty greens, like kale and chard, had a better chance of lasting through the week. They also are better to sauté and freeze, so in the worst case scenario I could resort to that. So I attacked the red leaf and romaine lettuce first, with the spinach, chard, and kale on the back burner (or should I say, back saute pan!).
Here’s what this week’s box (pictured above) turned into:
- Pizza with a garlic scape and parsley pesto base, topped with sautéed red kale, hot Italian sausage, and mozzarella cheese. Served with a side of mixed greens tossed in olive oil and apple cider vinegar (pictured below).
- Salads of romaine and red leaf lettuce with tomatoes, steamed beets, quinoa, and onion.
- Spinach smoothies, using the same recipe as last week with slight modifications. Swap the kale for spinach and add a banana (I learned the hard way last week that a banana makes all the difference!)
- Sautéed rainbow chard with cilantro shrimp (using leftover sauce from last week)
- A tomato, beet greens, and half of the romaine lettuce are going with me to Newport, RI this weekend – hopefully we’ll find a way to use them!
Any surprises in your box this week?